It is a custom with Ham radio operators to acknowledge a conversation with another station by exchanging a post card, called a QSL card.
Volunteers to the Ham radio station must hold a valid FCC amateur radio license, be over 18 and be accepted as a MOSI volunteer. Volunteers are asked to one shift a week, such as Wednesday morning or Tuesday afternoon. They are also asked to belong to the MOSI Amateur Radio Club which is comprised of volunteers to MOSI. To sign up, contact club President Gene King/KI4LEH at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the MOSI Volunteer office on the first floor. For more information on the Ham radio station visit their official website by clicking here or call us at (813)419-7370.
• The first computer station as you enter the shack in
Disasterville is where we monitor the International Space
Station. We show its location over earth using our internet connection directly to the NASA website.
• The MOSI station has both AM and FM radios. Our main shortwave radio is the HF station running a Yaesu FT 1000 for long
distance communications to other states and countries.
• The Yaesu FT 1000 is connected to an MFJ 993b antenna tuner with coax cables going to the antennas on the root.
• Our FM station is used for short range communications such as club activities and emrgency contact with the Red Cross,
Sheriffs Department and others as needed during a disaster.
• MOSI has a repeater on loan from Mike Flectcher/NI4M and operates on a frequency of 443.000 with a PL tone of 146.2.
This repeater has excellent coverage thanks to the location of the MOSI building on a hill and the roof being up four
Plan Your Visit
Hours & Directions
Accessibility & Accommodation
What To Do
The Saunders Planetarium
Coleman Science Works Theater
Kids In Charge!
IMAX Dome Theater
About Dome Screen
Schools & Groups
Adults & Seniors
Research & Grants
Join or Renew Now
Exclusive Member Discounts
Book Your Event
Corporate & Social Events
Weddings & Special Occasions
Event Space & Specs
Contact Special Events
Birthday Party FAQ
Birthday Party Pricing
Copyright 2013, Museum of Science and Industry
4801 E. Fowler Avenue - Tampa, Florida 33617