FULL-TIME Employment Opportunities
Click here to download our Employment Application.
To print the application, simply click "print" on your browser and wait for it to print. When the application printing is completed, click the "back" button on your browser to return to this page. If you would like to attach a resume to your application, please do so.
Volunteer Program Coordinator
This position is responsible for supervising volunteers and provides direction, coordination and consultation for all volunteer functions within the Museum to:
- Strengthen public or private programs
- Involve a community of supporters as described in the duties outlined below
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Develops, promotes and maintains a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization:
- Surveys MOSI staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance.
- Ensure volunteers are staffed to support the various areas of operations.
- Recommends the most efficient use of volunteers, appropriate volunteer/supervisory mix, and future workforce needs to support volunteer program operations.
- Schedules all volunteer activity, including docent tours/activities.
- Assists the Director of Administration with developing and managing volunteer policies, procedures and standards of volunteer service.
- Organizes and participates in volunteer recognition programs and special events.
- Evaluates all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate.
- Maintains accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of company events.
- Recruits, interviews and places applicants for volunteer work;
- Hosts and attends recruiting events within the community to attract qualified volunteers.
- Identifies community outreach opportunities, such as fairs, festivals, local markets and organizations.
- Works with Marketing department and professional associations to publicize opportunities for volunteers.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other volunteer organizations within the area.
- Conducts and/or arranges for volunteer orientation and training.
- Creates and maintains individual volunteer records.
- Processes applications and background screenings.
- Provides ongoing support and guidance for volunteers.
- Acts as single point of contact for volunteer communications.
- Facilitates distribution of information relevant to volunteers.
- Works with Director of Administration to develop and implement volunteer policies and procedures.
- Remains current in office technology.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Directly supervises 10-100 volunteers within the volunteer department(s).
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer skills required: Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet, Social Media Outlets
- Other skills required:
- Previous experience working with volunteers preferred
- Must have reliable transportation
- Flexible work schedule, depending on the volunteer season and company events, hours may vary
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that
gets others' attention.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Continually required to talk or hear
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
**Please submit your completed application and resume to HR@mosi.org**
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.