Each day, Earth accumulate 10 to 100 tons of material.
If you would like to apply for employment with MOSI, you may print a copy of our application (link available below). Employment applications for open positions are accepted via mail or e-mail:
U.S. Mail: MOSI Human Resources 4801 East Fowler Ave. Tampa, FL 33617
Click here to download our Employment Application
To print the application, simply click "print" on your browser and wait for it to print. When the application printing is completed, click the "back" button on your browser to return to this page. If you would like to attach a resume to your application, please do so.
WE ARE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR:
DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH & GRANTS
Research & Government Relations Department
Full-Time Position with Benefits
· Be responsible for the completion of all sections of grant proposals, including budgets, timelines, appendices, evaluations, letters of cooperation, administrative summaries etc. in such a way as they are timely, competitive, aligned with MOSI’s Strategic Plans, and thoroughly respond to all sections of the grant proposal and meet the funder’s intent.
· Organize grant writing and be responsible for editing of all grants prior to final review.
· Conduct research to respond to grant proposals
· Identify appropriate government and private sector grant funding sources.
· Work with senior management, outside partners, and other MOSI staff to develop and document grant projects and concepts.
· Develop concept papers, specialized briefing documents, and other required grants materials.
· Research and maintain supporting statistical data, information, and written documentation for grant proposals and other grants-related initiatives.
· Develop and maintain relationships with governmental granting agencies, funding organizations and other grants related entities, and represents MOSI in the community.
· Build relationships with local, state and federal funding offices and elected officials.
· Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university
· Minimum of 3 years experience in grants writing and research
· Must have a grant portfolio of a minimum of $ 5 million dollars in awarded competitive grants from local, state federal and private foundations.
· Previous experience with submissions on Grants.Gov required.
· Experience creating collaborative partnerships within the Tampa Bay area required.
· Demonstrated knowledge of school district and collaborations with the school district.
· Experience in conducting research required.
· Experience developing a logic model for evaluation required.
The Tourism Development Specialist's goal is to promote MOSI as a premier travel destination in order to increase out-of-market and travel related revenues and assist the Director of Marketing and Communication with the dissemination of MOSI information. The Tourism Development Specialist will be responsible for developing and presenting tourism-related material to provide informational guidance for all tourism constituents. This position requires occasional weekend and after hours work. This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
· Developing strategies and partnerships to drive out-of-market visitor traffic, specifically targeting the travel and hospitality industry.
· Develop and implement a tourism marketing plan for the Bay area working closely with hotels/motels, restaurants, wineries, county attractions, etc.
· Promote and expand overall MOSI awareness as a premier destination with city tourism publications and organizations.
· Develop and maintain relationships with all local tourism service providers in the Tampa Bay area including but not limited to CityPass, hoteliers, restaurateurs, AAA, ticket vendors and attractions.
· Creation and management of voucher program and ticket selling programs.
· Work closely with the group sales department to encourage visitor group program bookings where applicable, which include maintaining relationships with group and hotel contacts.
· Complete and maintain individual hotel profiles, including monthly visitors and sales results, collateral distribution, hotel contact and projections.
· Identify opportunities to create hotel/motel packaging.
· Arrange and conduct FAM (familiarization) and all other type tours with visiting groups, organizations, and out-of-state media.
· Manage Trio relationship and ensure exceptional representation of MOSI's brand.
· Manage the distribution of all tourism related publications and collateral.
· Develop tourism content for MOSI website and publications.
· Monitor city tourism statistics, projects and trends.
· Track, analyze and measure return on investment of overall visitor sales.
· Organize various media information and work with agency to make affordable and effective media buys to promote tourism.
· Plan new research-based advertising strategies for current and subsequent years that will increase leisure travel market share.
· Develop relationships with national, international and regional tourism based publications and writers, tours operators and travel agents.
· Attend meetings, seminars, conventions, and workshops to further knowledge, stay informed of the changes in the tourism industry, and exchange information.
· Work with the marketing team in developing Marketing and PR Plans for upcoming events, exhibitions and other museum programs.
· Assist the Director of Marketing and Communication with marketing and event budgets, as it relates to tourism, and ensure that all marketing, promotions and events are efficient and profitable as demonstrated by the completion of event cost analysis.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Hospitality, Tourism, or related field is a plus.
· Minimum 2 years of Marketing experience within the Tourism industry required.
· In depth knowledge of tourism and hotel industry within the Tampa Bay area
· Strong database of hotel and tourism contacts preferred.
· Strong written communication skills are required, with an emphasis on grammar/spelling excellence.
· Strong communication skills in the capacity of liaison and as a presenter.
· Strong analytical and organizational skills. Attention to detail a must.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Ability to develop and foster industry relationships is a must.
· Some travel required
· Educational requirements may be substituted by a combination of specialized training and experience.
· Valid Florida driver’s license required
· MOSI is open 365 days a year. Employee is expected to work Holidays, evenings and weekends as necessary.
· Ability to lift and/or carry 20 to 30 pounds.
EDUCATION SALES REPRESENTATIVE
Learning Experience Team - Education
This position will generate and increase revenue through admissions and group bookings. The main focus of this position will be on local market segments of education (schools, daycare, youth groups, etc.).
· Increase MOSI’s attendance and group business; generate additional attendance and revenue from education market.
· Ability to understand and demonstrate how MOSI programs meet the standards and curriculums needs of schools so that our programs are seen as essential to the success of their curriculum.
· Make sales calls, which may include cold calls, telephone sales, direct mail follow-up and other related sales calls to schools, youth groups, day care centers, and other groups as assigned.
· Represent MOSI at appropriate trade shows that target education market.
· Make presentations to all segments and others as assigned.
· Coordinate program sales with Marketing & Education staff to ensure proper handling and fulfillment; keep Box Office informed regarding all programs negotiated.
· Create, maintain and organize any sales materials needed to complete job requirements.
· Bachelor’s Degree in education or science from an accredited college or university; relevant experience may be substituted
· Previous education and/or experience working with schools, school districts, and formal educational institutions
· Previous experience teaching / working with youth of all ages preferred
· Prior sales experience required
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Valid Florida driver’s license required; ability to travel
DIRECTOR OF THEATRE OPERATIONS
Guest Experience Team
This position is responsible for coordinating the various business, marketing and sales activities in the IMAXâ Dome Theatre and 3-D Theatre, to ensure the proper delivery of programming and financial goals.
· Lead programming and operations of the Florida Hospital IMAX Dome Theatre and Coleman Science Works 3-D Theatre, including guest services, film selection, branding, sales analysis, projections and reporting, pricing of films, audience analysis and identification, and analysis of departmental revenue and expenses.
· Responsible for managing theater staff, and assuring quality and efficient visitor experiences.
· Drive film selection process; develops and implements user and nonuser surveys, focus groups, and test screenings, etc., to measure audience interest.
· Participate with marketing team to develop and implement programs and strategies to increase attendance, revenue and programming in the Theatre.
· Participate with Education team to develop school group sales procedures and help identify new audiences to meet or exceed departmental revenue goals each year.
· Coordinate production of all film-related promotional material including print pieces, electronic/online pieces, advertising, releases and social media.
· Serve as expert source and maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and developments in digital and large format film technology, theater operations, and guest services.
· Speak and act as MOSI representative at various meetings, conferences and events in the community.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
· Effective management skills
· Organized and creative self-starter
· Proficient in the use of MS Office
· Committed to exceeding guest expectations
· Detail oriented with ability to manage multiple complex and often-changing tasks
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university preferred.
· Two to four years of theater management and supervisory experience required.
SPECIAL WORK REQUIREMENTS:
· MOSI is open 365 days a year. Employee will be required to work some holidays, evenings, and/or weekends
· Employee must be accessible should Theatre operations require immediate response
· Some travel is required
MANAGER OF PLANETARIUM & SPACE PROGRAMS
Learning Experience Team
· Manages the day-to-day operation of planetarium and space programs which includes, but is not limited to, scheduling, staffing, training and monitoring quality and content of experiences for the Saunders Planetarium, Mission: Moonbase, Starlab and telescopes program.
· Coordinates and presents programs on varied content, including but not limited to flight and space, astronomy, technology and industry; provides content and instructional backup for programs across department divisions.
· Operate and maintain all Planetarium equipment and telescopes.
· Remain up to date with current events and activities in astronomy and space science.
· Serve as on the on-air astronomy and space science expert at MOSI and in the community.
· Assists with developing new programs and continually updating existing programs.
· Assists with creating publications and marketing materials for programs.
· Contributes to department statistics for monthly reports, as required.
· Contributes to grant writing and the writing of grant reports, as required.
· In collaboration with other department Directors and Managers, initiate new program ideas including guest lectures, group and public programs, partnerships and revenue sources.
· Presents programs across department divisions, as appropriate, both at MOSI and offsite.
· Bachelor’s Degree in astronomy, astrophysics, physics, earth and space science education or other related field
· Previous experience in science center or similar informal education institution delivering programs in a planetarium setting
· Three years of experience in a supervisory position preferred
· Experience operating and assembling telescopes
· Exemplary communication and presentation skills
· Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate multiple projects
· Valid Florida driver’s license with proven safe driving record, ability to operate large vehicles including electric carts and vans
· Able to stand for 4 – 6 hours at a time
· Able to verbally project to large groups, indoors and out
MANAGER, CAMPUS OPERATIONS (MCO)
Campus Experience Team
PART-TIME POSITION – On-call Scheduling / Flexibility Required
Weekend, Holiday & Evening Availability Required
· Provides on-site operational support for campus operations, events, programs and activities
· Responds to and resolves and/or reports guest related issues
· Interacts with guests and groups of all sizes with enthusiasm, confidence and knowledge
· Responsible for opening and/or closing campus procedures
· Works with Volunteer department to supervise and organize floor operations as needed
· Serves as on-site first responder for situations requiring first aid and/or CPR, assisting guests and/or staff in emergency situations
· High school diploma or GED required; two-year degree preferred
· Excellent customer service skills required
· Museum or attraction experience preferred
· Supervisory experience preferred
· Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification preferred or must be willing to acquire
· Basic knowledge of MS Office software required
· Building operations and/or security experience preferred
· Frequent bending, squatting, kneeling and/or stooping
· Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other
· hazards related to guest activities on campus
· Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid and CPR, to assist guests in
· emergency situations (evacuation, illness or injury, etc.).
· Physical ability to stand and/or walk for 6 – 8 hour shifts
· Physical ability to climb stairs on a regular basis
FLIGHT SIMULATOR OPERATOR
Camus Experience Team
Availability Required Sunday through Saturday (10:00am-4:00pm)
· Performs standard morning readiness tasks on flight simulator
· Greets guests and provides simulator and/or campus information as needed
· Sells tickets and handles cash transactions
· Operates flight simulator to enhance the MOSI guest experience
· Ensures all simulator safety protocols are followed as instructed
· Cleans flight simulator and surrounding areas as needed
· Retail sales and/or customer service experience required
· Ability to engage guests on a daily basis
· Previous experience operating a simulator preferred
· Ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, personable & assertive
· Must enjoy working with large groups of children
· Physical ability to push/pull up to 50 lbs.
· Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental hazards related to simulator operation
· Physical ability to respond appropriately to emergency situations (simulator evacuation, etc.).
PERFORMERS / SCIENCE ENTHUSIASTS / ENTERTAINERS / EDUCATORS
We are seeking experienced, fun, energetic, and enthusiastic individuals to provide interactive engaging experiences to all museum visitors as part of our team of Entertainment Educators known as the STEAMpunks (Science Technology Engineering Arts & Math). STEAMpunks work throughout the year in varying capacities, on average eight to twenty-eight hours per week (part-time), as well as with our various traveling exhibits when applicable.
During the interview process, candidates will be expected to demonstrate the ability to convey a science concept in a fun, engaging, and entertaining way. Our STEAMpunks are the key to making science come to life for visiting school groups, general public and MOSI members through characterizations, interactions, shows, demonstrations, classes, and informal gallery conversations. STEAMpunks may also assist with show development and research, and on occasion be expected to perform off-site as needed.
If you have a passion for science and sharing, this may be the job for you!
What We Are Looking For:
· Enthusiasm, Personality and Energy
· Experience working in a theatrical, museum or educational setting is a plus
· Improvisational theatre, character development/study experience helpful
· Science and/or Education background a plus
· Ability to interact and entertain groups of all sizes with excitement, confidence and knowledge
· Ability to provide exceptional customer service in all interactions with all guests
· Availability within the following parameters:
· Flexibility with Weekend/Holiday availability (MOSI is open 365 / year)
· Mon-Fri full and/or half day shifts available between 9:00am and 5:00pm
· Sat & Sun full and/or half day shifts available between 9:00am and 6:00pm
· Occasional evenings as needed for special events
Inspire kids and teens to innovators through technology and engineering.
Apply your technical skills and ability to create a fun and exciting learning environment where children and teens can become active creators of technology-based projects. Designing Web pages, animating in 3D, programming computer games, or building robots are just a few of the activities led by our technology instructors.
· Prepare and implement innovative, project-oriented, hands-on classes and camps.
· Set the tone and excitement level to optimize a positive summer camp experience for all participants.
· Greet parents and students, take attendance, and be responsible for students.
· Present planned activities pertaining to assigned classes in electronic form.
· Proficient in creating animation, robotics, video production, music production or computer projects like computer games.
· Certified Florida Teaching Credential a plus but not required.
· Two years experience instructing and/or working with children required.
· Skilled in using multimedia and/or programming applications.
· Dependable and flexible with work schedule and duties.
· Must be approved to work with children (Clear Level II Background Screening through Department of Children & Families required).
· Responsible for driving a bus and monitoring of Guests/Program Participants on board.
· Inspects bus thoroughly before starting the run to detect any mechanical or other malfunction, which would prevent the safe delivery of Guests and/or Program Participants.
· Follows exact schedule making stops and pick up of Guests/Program Participants at locations based on schedule provided.
· Observes all state, city and local laws and regulations.
· Supervise the seating of Guests/Program Participants to equalize weight distribution.
· Assists chaperones in resolving disciplinary problems and prepares proper reports for the Vice President of Education on more difficult problems.
· Instructs Guests/Program Participants on the proper methods to board and depart from the bus and sees that these instructions are carefully observed.
· Possesses thorough knowledge of bus operation; safety and safety equipment, and first aid procedures.
· Ability to communicate in a positive manner with Guests/Program Participants.
· Candidates must be 21 years of age or older
· High School Diploma or GED preferred; completion of the tenth school grade required
· Two years of successful bus driving experience required
· Possession of a valid Florida Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger Endorsement required (S)
· Applicants should be familiar with the main roadways in the county.
· Applicants who have been found guilty of a DUI or who have tested positive for a controlled substance will be disqualified
· Must be approved to work with children (Clear Level II Background Screening through Department of Children & Families required)
· Qualified candidates must be able to meet and complete OTETA (Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) testing
MOSI is a Drug Free Workplace
MOSI Participates in E-Verify
MOSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Plan Your Visit
Hours & Directions
Accessibility & Accommodation
What To Do
The Saunders Planetarium
Coleman Science Works Theater
Kids In Charge!
Florida Hospital IMAX DOME Theater
About Dome Screen
Schools & Groups
Adults & Seniors
Research & Grants
Join or Renew Now
Reciprocal Membership Offers
Exclusive Member Discounts
Book Your Event
Corporate & Social Events
Weddings & Special Occasions
Event Space & Specs
Contact Special Events
Birthday Party FAQ
Birthday Party Pricing
Copyright 2014, Museum of Science and Industry
4801 E. Fowler Avenue - Tampa, Florida 33617